I took a leaf from my Japanese Acuba bush. I started this plant from my mother's bush. It always has interesting spotted leaves on it. Here's how it progressed:
I have had a few things surprise me when drawing. I don't worry about whether I'm drawing them the exact size or not, yet it's happened a few times. The one above was really close but so were a few others.
The leaf wasn't one the page when I drew it. I just put it there to see how close I got.
When you photograph an object and your painted version at night, it doesn't go well. The leaf below was actually closer to the color of the painted leaf but this makes it seem way darker.
I then chose a pod from an Eastern Redbud tree. It was a challenge to show the beans in the pod when the whole thing was very dark to start with. Whew.
Here is a leaf from a redbud tree. I decided to paint one in a book that I started at Art & Soul. It's a fabric book so I used absorbent ground as a base to paint in there.
Watercolors don't sink into the absorbent ground as quickly as paper but that can work to your advantage. You can blot up paint more easily if you get to much on there.
Here's a crazy looking little leaf that I started on a new page of watercolor paper. It sat there for a while then I brought in a bunch of leaves from a walk with Fergus and decided to add them to the page as well.
So, that's kind of where I am with painting with watercolors. I still love my acrylics and will get back to them in time.